 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 98
Re: "Shifty" rip off brand -- can they get away with this??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Chris Lyman writes:

So I opened one up and pulled out the bag to look at the parts... man,
talk about cheap-ass imitation. The parts were the exact same type and
dimensions as LEGO, but they didn't bear the LEGO name on the studs, and also
the colors and prints (such as the Lionheart minifig torso crest) were whacked
out. A lot of the colors and prints didn't even match what was shown on the
box. Serious low quality stuff.

Apart from the printing, and the copy-right issues, how were the elements
themselves?  Did they compare in quality to Mega Bloks, or Best-Lock?  Can you
actually use them well with LEGO elements?  I'd be very interested to see some
of these, or find out just where you located them.  I'll be passing through BC
on my way to my honeymoon in Calgary, and I'd like to pick some up.  They sound
a bit like TATCO blocks, which are a newer, LEGO-compatible block from the ATCO
group.  TATCO pirate sets are similarly goofy, with blue and red swords, white
spears, and green muskets; though the printing on TATCO pieces, while basic, is
well done.

regards,

james aprkin