 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 106
105  |  107
Subject:
"Shifty" rip off brand -- more info from original poster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:31:41 GMT

Sorry I didn't provide more information right off, but this was my first post
to the LEGO-related newsgroups so I wasn't aware exactly what was expected. I
just ran across this stuff in the store and thought it might be something
worth letting other people know about. No hoaxing here.

The store I found them in is in Langley, BC. Here are directions:
---
from Highway 1
take 200th St. South exit (Langley)
continue for about 5 or 10 minutes to 64th Ave. stoplight, turn right
continue to Fraser Highway stoplight, turn left
about 1km, left hand side there will be a London Drugs in a shopping complex
the shop is a "dollar store" type place to the left of London Drugs
found them in the toy section, rear left corner of the store
---

Someone posted links to scanned images of the boxes -- these are exactly what
I saw in the store (the pirates and the knight, I didn't see the other two).
No editing on those pictures as far as I can tell.

I can only tell you what I saw by examining the parts within the plastic bag
because I didn't purchase any, thinking it would be "unethical" to support the
company, but I can see how someone might want to purchase them for research or
comparison purposes or whatnot:

Apart from the printing, and the copy-right issues, how were the elements
themselves?  Did they compare in quality to Mega Bloks, or Best-Lock?  Can you
actually use them well with LEGO elements?  I'd be very interested to see some

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with other blocks, I'm a bit of a LEGO
loyalist, if only because I can barely afford LEGOs every now and then, much
less investing in other systems. But I digest.
They appeared to be LEGO compatible because they *were* LEGO blocks, just
poorly made and without the LEGO stamp. I wouldn't be suprised if, for
example, the plates snapped after being used several times.
It seemed to be the same quality plastic as little trinkets you buy from
gumball machines.

group.  TATCO pirate sets are similarly goofy, with blue and red swords, white
spears, and green muskets; though the printing on TATCO pieces, while basic,

Again, these weren't like differently-designed but LEGO-compatible blocks -
they were direct, fairly accurate (if poorly made) imitations of actual LEGO
pieces. The swords and crossbow and quiver and minifigs, etc. all looked
exactly like LEGO at first glance; upon closer examination you can tell very
minor differences, probably due to cheap manufacturing rather than intentional
variations.

If you pick some up, you'll probably want to actually open up a few boxes and
look at the contents to see what you're getting, because they certainly vary
from what's printed on the box and vary with each other.
Like I said, one box contained a green horse (which came in three snap-
together pieces); one pirate box contained a red crossbow and red quiver, not
pictured anywhere on the box, yet other pirate boxes did not contain these; a
few of the knight boxes contained green minifig hands instead of yellow, as on
the box.
I didn't look at all the parrots, but the one parrot I did examine was just a
plain yellow parrot with no coloring at all, unlike the real LEGO parrot with
red and black markings pictured on the box, and was a bit thinner than real
LEGO parrots.

---
ChrisWL
lymancw@<nospam>wku.edu