 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 723
Re: Weird LEGO-like mecha toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 23:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ben Vaughan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ka-On Lee writes:
It's in Japanese:

http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~dais/txt_dir/dialy/2000/09/dtxt_00095a.htm

Anyone knows what they are?  Are they only available in Japan?

This site is worth browsing around for any mecha fans:
http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~dais/txt_dir/dialy/dtxt_top.htm
It got lots of good quality photos of the newest Japanese mecha toys and models
for inspiration. ;)

Okay,
I sent a message off to Ken-tucky to see if he knew about these.
Here's his reply:
"...Hi,Ben

These block mechas are called "DIA-DROIDS".
They are a products of Kawada Co.,Ltd. a Japanese
domestic toy manufacturer.
kawada "DIA BLOCK"s are well known throughout Japan
(more than Lego) since '60s. But the blocks are not LEGO
convertible.

The "DIA-DROIDS" came into market this summer.
They have a special circular joints (better made than
Throwbots-Slizer joints) for easy posing AND TRANSFORMING.

Kawada released some similar mecha lines few years ago, also.
Which was like PATLABOR.

Yeah, we japanese always thought if LEGO could make
something just like this. That's why we make mechas
with LEGO! ..."

So!  There you go!

Ben

Ben Vaughan
buster@marsbase.com
http://www.marsbase.com

Guess the translation i used is a little screwy... Thanks for asking him Ben! I
wonder where we could get these things?...