 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 348
Re: The mythical gender-changing plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:24:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

craig hamilton wrote:
funny you should ask...

  i just got a handful of these very tyco pieces in my wednesday fotw!  both
douple-genders, even: in blue, a lt gray, and dark olive (military) green.
this fotw one of those deals where you get a forestmen's river fortress and
other great stuff if you can sort it out from a box of lego, tyco,
megablock, tinker toy, two other "mutant" clones, and bits of g.i.joe.

  they are geat pieces, and i will use them, and tlc should make their own
superior version! the now defunct tyco is imho the best clone, and the only
one i use without feeling bad. i use a little mega-block here and there, but
it leaves an unpleasant aftertaste.

  these are 2x2 square pieces.  double males have open cylinder studs on
both sides of a square "plate" only about as thick as a thin wall lego element.

  tyco plates are half a brick rater than a third like lego. double females
are a half brick thick square frames with a hollow thin wall center socket
floated by four horizontal and vertical thin walls. ingenious design, i must
admit, and it works with lego as if it was a lego element itself. i'm kind
of amazed, really.

It seems to me that I've seen a single stud double male part also (I'll
have to dig into my clone-brands bucket tonight). I've also not checked
what the actual thickness of the double male part is, it definitely is
going to cause glitches in Tyco geometry, but if it's 1/2 plate
thickness, would be quite useable in LEGO geometry.

The double female part will be a little difficult to use in LEGO
geometry, but not impossible. It is just 1.5 plates thick, which can be
worked with (and of course you can also mix in Tyco plates to get more
1.5 plate thickness offsets where needed).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com