 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2211
Re: Yeah, they're small.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:12:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Jeremiah VanderMark wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Thomas Main wrote:
   Ever since I found out about Mega Blocks making miniature bricks I’ve been excited to see some pictures. A few days ago I read another article (which I have lost the cite to since) that described a 700 piece model that would fit into the palm of your hand. I think this may be the Next Big Thing for enthusiasts of the brick. If anyone spots any news about this line, be sure to drop a post in here.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com

I just got the Off Shore Racing set a few minutes ago, and let me tell you these things are tiny.

Haven’t had much time to study ‘em, but it looks like they have a different plate height/width ratio, and bricks are only two of the new-proportion plates tall. Now to get building!

-jeremiah-

OK, now that I’ve had some time with the little things, I can give an idea of how they work.

First, the height/width ratio is slightly different from that of normal Lego or Mega Bloks - two plates (or one brick) tall equals one brick’s width, a mighty useful setup. Thanks to this, Nano sets make good use of SNOT for contoured shapes, something Lego could learn from.

As for the sets themselves: As I only have the one set, I can’t vouch for the series. I can tell you, though, that the trucks and boat are very well-designed and, frankly, really cool. The race-launch gimmick in the pickup hurts the design a bit, requiring a prefab base with undersized tires, but the light & sound box in the semi is tiny and unobtrusive. Overall, very cool. The inclusion of a pier and docks that attach to the carrying-case/roadbase is a nice touch.

Anyway, even to a clone-avoider like me, these sets have proven very interesting; I’m curious to see where the line goes from here. I’m still trying to find a way to interface these things with the One True Brick, though.

-jeremiah-