 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1556
Re: Tyco problems and structures that Rock!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:59:15 GMT

I seem to have found a solution. Half way up I put one solid layer of Lego
bricks. That seems to counteract the curl.

Alan

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Alan Findlay writes:

By the time I had built the dike on the Lego baseplates, I noticed that the
ends (32 studs apart) seemed to be "curling" up. The addition of the wall
did not alter this curl. So, the whole wall kinda "rocked" end to end. As a
result, the connection at the end to the next section was poor -- tight at
the bottom, about 1-2 mm gap at the top (7 bricks high).

I removed the wall from the dike, and tested each part separately. The dike
part (mostly Tyco) rocked. The wall part (Megablok) sits flush on the table.
The conclusion I draw is that the Tycos do not have a good fit. So I guess
I'll have to ditch the Tycos in the dike (no pun intended) and remake it
with Megabloks and Legos.

Have others experienced fit problems with Tyco's?

That's an interesting problem.  I don't have enough bulk Tyco bricks to
run a real comparison, but I've noticed exactly the problem you describe
when I've built long structures with MegaBloks.  When I tried to build a
144-long church using 2x4 bricks for much of the base, I found that the
bricks didn't sit properly on the 48x48 plates I was using.  In the end I
chose to skip the baseplates, and the whole structure seemed to rest okay on
my wood floor.
The "curling" you cite must result from a small imprecision, hard to
detect in individual bricks, but annoyingly apparent when a large number of
bricks are joined.  You might lessen the effect by interspersing your
MegaBloks with true LEGO bricks, but I've never experimented too much with
that technique.

    Dave!