 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1541
1540  |  1542
Subject:
Tyco problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:58:30 GMT

Greetings, fellow non-Conformists ;)

I'm not a frequent lurker of this particular forum, so perhaps my
observations are old news, but I thought I'd share them anyway.

I've purchased clone bricks over time, first for cost reasons, but also I
have structures I want to build that are "bulk" in nature -- not a lot of
fine detail, but lots of bricks. Specifically, I'm trying to build a city
wall for my castle creations. I'm trying to keep the Legos for the "better"
(more detailed) structures.

I'm currently developing my second modular wall standard. Each basic wall
section has a foot-print of 8x32 - with technic pins/bricks for connection.
The corners will be on a 16x16 plate.

The wall prototype I've built so far has a mix of Tyco and Megabloks, with
some Legos thrown into key spots.

The foundation of the wall is a 3-high dike (from 8-wide to 6-wide) on top
of which a 4-wide/4-high wall sits. The dike has been made of mostly
military-green Tyco bricks, plus some other green and earthtone-ish
Megabloks. The wall is almost exclusively gray Megabloks (from the
ProBuilder Battleship -- I bought two).

Here's the problem I've found.

By the time I had built the dike on the Lego baseplates, I noticed that the
ends (32 studs apart) seemed to be "curling" up. The addition of the wall
did not alter this curl. So, the whole wall kinda "rocked" end to end. As a
result, the connection at the end to the next section was poor -- tight at
the bottom, about 1-2 mm gap at the top (7 bricks high).

I removed the wall from the dike, and tested each part separately. The dike
part (mostly Tyco) rocked. The wall part (Megablok) sits flush on the table.
The conclusion I draw is that the Tycos do not have a good fit. So I guess
I'll have to ditch the Tycos in the dike (no pun intended) and remake it
with Megabloks and Legos.

Have others experienced fit problems with Tyco's?

Alan