 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1544
Re: Tyco problems and structures that Rock!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:12:44 GMT

This is very interesting.If I understand your baseplate problem, the wall
would be actually a bit longer than the spacing the baseplate wants?

I have detected "endianness" to Lego bricks, where a pair of 1x2s fit more
closely "head to head" than "head to tail"--but not too snugly. Tail to tail
produces a noticeable gap. This non-symmetry is out there, look for it...

If the snugness were extreme, the whole construction could be expanding
outward (within tolerance.)

Block City bricks have this problem so bad, you have to really hunt for two
bricks that will fit together.

Auburn being made of flexible plastic might have had this problem, but the
bricks crept over the years and most have problems fitting together.
Snapping (squishing) two 1x2 bricks onto an underlying brick, they really
compete to be in the space between the stud.

(These are not clones BTW)
http://www.architoys.net/toys/toypages/auburn.html
http://www.architoys.net/toys/toypages/blockcit.html

The best idea I have is that the endianness relates to the side the mold was
filled from. This translates into tighter packing profile at one end, and
different shrinkage on cooling.

But in Block City I think it was just sloppy molds.

P.S. It is really weird, not having played with Auburn between 1976 and the
present, how small they seem.