 MediaWatch / 595
Re: Brick Testament on radio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:49:56 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Amy Hughes writes:
I've spent a good deal of time the last couple days chasing web log entries
trying to figure out why traffic to my site has been doubling every day. I'm
finding links to my site on all kinds of forums and in "web journals", and
your site keeps coming up as "Here's another one...". Then today I was
slashdotted, and once again you were mentioned.

Yeah, I was quite amazed how fast word about The Brick Testament spread
across emails and weblogs starting around November of last year.  That
factor has accounted for more traffic than any single bit of media covergae
my site has received.  It's a real snowball effect.

Now I'm a getting a second wave of extra traffic, as you noticed, peripheral
to your church's popularity.  I was suprised to get 14,000 new hits today
from merely appearing on an AM radio show in Las Vegas, but then I saw the
Slashdot link, and all became clear.

I was going to warn you to expect extra traffic, but I see you're already
dealing with the spotlight. Congratulations!

Slashdot took my server down. I hope your site is fareing better.

It helps to have friends in Silicon Valley.  Originally the whole Brick
Testament site was hosted on one server, but when a site for another one of
my projects on the same server [http://www.crazyeddy.com/vendetta] got
Slashdotted at Christmas, that whole server went down.

Since then, I have moved all the photos from the site to Brickshelf which
has been a godsend (so to speak), and kept the rest of the html on the
original server, which so far has held up.  But then again, The Brick
Testament has never received a full-on slashdotting.  @8^)

Congratulations on your mixed blessing!  It's sad the photos have to be down
for a while, but I'd say the incredible exposure is worth the trouble.

-Rev. Smith