 MediaWatch / 1503
1502  |  1504
Subject:
LEGO on TechTV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 14:01:50 GMT

Next Friday (June 4th) I'll be making another trip out to San Francisco to be on
TechTV's The Screen Savers.

This time, I'll be taking at least one, and hopefully two all LEGO robots that
can play Hasbro's Connect Four.

The first robot, "Full Contact" was designed for rtl-15, where it was required
to play a fully autonomous game of Connect Four against other robots, without
any human intervention once the game began.  It easily won the event, after
facing off against a large number of entries, but only one serious competitor.

It also won a gold medal at ROBOlympics in San Francisco in March.

Here's the web site, with a few pictures and descriptions of the robot:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/robots/fullcontact/

The second robot is a totally different design, that uses the same logic
software as "Full Contact", but the electronics are limited to parts included in
the Mindstorms RIS.  It will play a competitive game of Connect Four using just
1 RCX, 1 light sensor, 2 touch sensors, and 2 motors.

I hope to have pictures of the new robot posted sometime next week.

If there's someone out there (like last time) who can record the show, and post
it on the web, that would be cool.

The show will air LIVE Friday June 4th at 7:00pm EST, and I think there are a
couple repeats over the next day or two.

Steve