 Marketplace / Theory / 981
Re: Lego funny money
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:10:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Ben Ridout writes:
James Brown wrote:
Two things:
First, your message violates their anit-spam policy.(1)  I'm not going to
report you, because I know you're a valued member to the online LEGO
community, and don't think you intended any harm by it.  But you might
want to cancel your post, so that someone else doesn't report it.
1:"Usenet and message board spam are messages sent or posted which are
unrelated to the topic of discussion of the particular news group or
message board"

I appreciate your levelheadedness and concern. Thank you.  I think posting 1
teeny tiny message about how I and others can get money to buy LEGO is
related to, albeit indirectly.  I considered this before posting.

Hmm, I thought it would be OK if Ben posted it too.  (After seeing Larry's
message yesterday about X.com, Ben asked me what I thought about his posting
a message about alladvantage.com.)  I told Ben I thought it was fine (didn't
break any LUGNET discussion group rules) as long as he didn't start spamming
non-market groups with it, etc.

I thought it would be OK because it seemed "reasonably related to" LEGO toys.
(After all, it's how Ben is currently funding his LEGO addition.)  I don't
subscribe to the service and wasn't aware of its non-spam policy.  If what
Ben posted is considered spam by alladvantage.com's TOS, then even though it
doesn't (IMHO) break any LUGNET rules (so far as I can tell), it still could
be (as James pointed out) a problem for Ben...

Man, what a week for gray-areas!  :-o

--Todd

[followups to .market.theory]

However,
in hindsight it still may have been a case of bad judgement on my part.  As
too many of you know, Lugnet has been home to several lengthy debates over
inappropriate posts and I do not wish to fan those flames.  I won't be doing
this again.  I just like playing with the little men!