 Marketplace / Theory / 38
37  |  39
Subject:
Anit-sniper suggestion for eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:34:21 GMT

eBay provides a form that allows a seller to cancel a bid, *if you have a
valid reason*. (See http://pages.ebay.com/aw/seller-cancel-bid.html -
sorry, I don't know how to link this).

Perhaps a seller could put in the item description that the seller reserves
the right to cancel any bid placed in the last x minutes (hours) of the
auction, unless that buyer has placed a bid earlier in the auction. Also,
perhaps the seller could include a stipulation that, in the event of a
cancellation, the second place bidder would be allowed to match/beat the
sniper's bid.

By placing this in the description, all potential bidders know up front
that sniping is not going to work.  Therefore, they have no grounds for
negative feedback if you do cancel their bid.

I think this might reduce buyers' frustration at being outbid at the last
minute by a new bidder, but won't help much if there are two *established*
bidders. It could also relieve that feeling of *I would have paid that
price, too!*

However, I'm not sure this would help the seller ultimately realize the
highest possible selling price, unless the earlier bidding does indeed
drive up the final price (although I'm not sure how you'd measure this).

Any thoughts?

Build in piece,
Phil Whitehead