 Marketplace / Theory / 274
Re: Proxy bidding mechanics questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:41:18 GMT

I had the same problem the other day, so I took a look at Todd's rules...

I'd suggest that your item 2 is INCORRECT _because of_ item 3 -

Rae's bid is $1.10 (hidden proxy $3.00)... Chris bids $2.00... system wants
to apply Chris's bid at $1.20, but Rae has already bid that amount, so it
stays with Rae at $1.20, but "through the power of proxy bidding" for every
$0.10 increment, it stays in Rae's name until you get to $2.00 (_NOT_ $2.10)

Actually, your item 1 is wrong too (IMO) - if the open minimum is $1.00, I'd
expect the first bid to be accepted at $1.00, NOT $1.10...

...just my 2 cents... 8-)

Jon.

Chris Busse <cbusse@infi.net> wrote in message news:FJ1q5D.1J2@lugnet.com...
I'm currently adding proxy bidding to my bussetech.com auction system and • I
have some questions for the group regarding proxy bidding mechanics.

When someone has a higher proxy than your bid, should their bid be • increased
one increment above your's when you bid unless your's equals their proxy • at
which time their proxy is becomes known to you since you see it wasn't
incremented but instead equaled?  Or should their current displayed bid be • set
to equal your bid whenever your bid is less than their proxy?

Let's say we are going with the first method and the item in question is a • 2x4
Red Brick:

CORRECT:  1.  The brick opens at a base of $1.00.  Rae places a proxy bid • of
$3.00 on the brick.  The system shows her the message: "Proxy bid of $3.00 • was
recorded. Current bid is $1.10"

CORRECT:  2.  Chris sees Rae's bid of $1.10, and bids $2.00.  The system • shows
him:   "Your proxy bid of $2.00 did not beat rae's earlier proxy. Current • bid
is $2.10 for rae".  Chris did not beat Rae's bid, and her bid was bumped • up by
the standard $0.10 increment to be greater than Chris' bid.

QUESTIONABLE SCENARIO:  3.  Chris still wants that brick, so he enters a • bid
of $3.00.  The system shows him:  "Your proxy bid of $3.00 did not beat • rae's
earlier proxy. Current bid is $3.00 for rae".  Chris' bid was equal to • Rae's
earlier proxy, but since her bid was earlier she is put in at $3.00. • Chris
now sees that her bid was not incremented higher than his so he knows that • her
max is $3.00.  Is it wrong for him to know this?  Is this the right way to • do
things?

Thanks!

Chris Busse
cbusse@infi.net