 Marketplace / Theory / 257
Re: Proxy bidding mechanics questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:26:34 GMT

CORRECT:  1.  The brick opens at a base of $1.00.  Rae places a proxy bid • of
$3.00 on the brick.  The system shows her the message: "Proxy bid of $3.00 • was
recorded. Current bid is $1.10"

I hope Rae isn't the first bidder here.  If she is then the current bid
should be $1.00.

CORRECT:  2.  Chris sees Rae's bid of $1.10, and bids $2.00.  The system • shows
him:   "Your proxy bid of $2.00 did not beat rae's earlier proxy. Current • bid
is $2.10 for rae".  Chris did not beat Rae's bid, and her bid was bumped • up by
the standard $0.10 increment to be greater than Chris' bid.

IMHO the system message to Chris should't mention names.  Also, I think that
in the case of a proxy bid Rae should only have to equal Chris' bid, as her
bid (as long as she proxied more than Chris) was placed before his.

QUESTIONABLE SCENARIO:  3.  Chris still wants that brick, so he enters a • bid
of $3.00.  The system shows him:  "Your proxy bid of $3.00 did not beat • rae's
earlier proxy. Current bid is $3.00 for rae".  Chris' bid was equal to • Rae's
earlier proxy, but since her bid was earlier she is put in at $3.00. • Chris
now sees that her bid was not incremented higher than his so he knows that • her
max is $3.00.  Is it wrong for him to know this?  Is this the right way to • do
things?

Again, I don't think names should be mentioned in the message to Chris.
Aside from that, I'd have to agree with the rest of the scenario.  As an
aside, if you were to implement my suggestion regarding scenario 2 Chris
wouldn't know that Rae's max was $3.00 until he places another bid and is
unchallenged by her.

Will