 Marketplace / Theory / 250
Re: Proxy bidding mechanics questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:32:24 GMT

Chris Busse <cbusse@infi.net> wrote:
QUESTIONABLE SCENARIO:  3.  Chris still wants that brick, so he enters a bid
of $3.00.  The system shows him:  "Your proxy bid of $3.00 did not beat rae's
earlier proxy. Current bid is $3.00 for rae".  Chris' bid was equal to Rae's
earlier proxy, but since her bid was earlier she is put in at $3.00.  Chris
now sees that her bid was not incremented higher than his so he knows that her
max is $3.00.  Is it wrong for him to know this?  Is this the right way to do
things?

I think I see what you're getting at but I don't see any other way
to do it.  You can't make the current bid $3.10 or $2.90, so it has
to be $3.00.  Yeah, that pretty much says, "hey! you hit it right on
the dot!" but I guess you have to accept that.

Now I can see this being slightly annoying for previous high bidders
if people come along and nickle-and-dime their bids up, just to find
the proxy, but it happens.  At least in a decently operating auction
the former high bidder gets a chance to come back and re-bid, so I
don't see the worry.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/