 Marketplace / Theory / 318
Re: Proxy bidding mechanics questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:00:27 GMT

It's a perception flaw though - from the buyer's perspective, it rankles that
you're already "paying more than you should have to".

And once I'm a seller on BRICKS, it's going to annoy me to have to remember to
lower all the opening bids ;-)

Mike Stanley wrote:

Tom Stangl <toms@netscape.com> wrote:
This is what I see as a flaw in several of the auction scripts out there.  If
the opening bid is $1.00, then I bid on it, dammit I should be able to bid
*$1.00*, not $1.10.  It's annoying, I hope most of the people running the
scripts fix it.  You aren't bidding against anyone as the first bidder, so you
should be entered at the OPENING price, not one increment above it.

I hear you and I understand where you're coming from, especially
since EveryAuction works this way, so that means both JABA and
BRICKS do as well.  But really, what's the big deal?  If I want
something to open at $1.00 I start it at $0.90 with a dime
increment.  If I want it to open at $12.00 with a 50 cent increment
I start it at $11.50.

As long as the seller plans his "starting" bids with the "flaw" in
mind you still end up paying the same as if you could actually make
a bid AT the opening bid listed on the web page.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/