 Marketplace / Theory / 2717
Re: Target sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:43:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Steve Demlow wrote:

From what I’ve seen, this year is a prime example of how things keep changing. For the last few years the pattern at Target seemed to be to start clearancing Lego at about 25% off even a few days before Christmas, then drop to 50%ish a week or so after Christmas and to 75%ish a week or two after that. This year so far they seem to have put only a handful of sets at 30%ish off - nowhere near the same quantity of model numbers as in the past (as Bruce observed, the “obvious” clearance stuff is still sitting there at full price).

A similar pattern has taken place at other retailers. Last year Meijers had clearance stuff before Christmas and immediately cut most of it again after Christmas. This year they had only a handful of junk on clearance before Christmas and it just continued to sit there at the same discount afterwards.

Wal-mart put their stuff at 25-30% off and AFAIK it’s been sitting at that ever since.

At least here in the Minneapolis metro area, I’ve seen only a minimal amount of Lego clearance items. Either they didn’t have the set quantities left to discount (inventory control is getting better?), the e-bay resellers are buying in quantity at the 25-30% off level instead of waiting for 50-75% (unlikely), or the stores are just pushing the clearances later. At any rate, it’s been a really lousy year for clearance Lego so far. I hope the rest of you have had better luck. :)

I think it is their improving inventory control. They probably realized they have to tighten up in order to be competitive with Walmart, which I understand has a running inventory update and automatic reordering as items go through the checkstand. The Targets near me have updated their price scanners in recent years to also indicate whether there are any more of an item not out on the shelves. If they are keeping track of that, they must be keeping a running tally of individual items and adjusting their inventories so they aren’t stuck with an excess of an item.

The only exceptions I’ve seen are the limited edition

    8809 King Mathias
44 elements, 0 figures, US$10, 2004
LEGO > SYSTEM > Castle > Knights' Kingdom II > {Large Figures}

which they probably had to order in quantity because it was a Target exclusive. And the small Clikits sets

    7504 Friendship Frame or Mirror
15 elements, 0 figures, US$4, 2004
LEGO > Clikits

and canisters

    4026 Create Your Dreams {Canister, blue top}
100 elements, 0 figures, US$3.50, 2003
LEGO > Creator
that were classified as seasonal items. And for some reason the Napa Targets always seem to have tons of chocolate left over after holidays. :-)

But I do think the days of finding cartloads of LEGO at 75% off are over. :-(

Maggie C.