 Marketplace / Shopping / 12043
Re: Target sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

Any idea how long it takes for Target to roll out their post-Christmas sales?

All my comments are based on my own observations; YMMV of course!  I don't have
as much time as I used to to check out the clearance aisles.

From what I've seen, this year is a prime example of how things keep changing.
For the last few years the pattern at Target seemed to be to start clearancing
Lego at about 25% off even a few days before Christmas, then drop to 50%ish a
week or so after Christmas and to 75%ish a week or two after that.  This year so
far they seem to have put only a handful of sets at 30%ish off - nowhere near
the same quantity of model numbers as in the past (as Bruce observed, the
"obvious" clearance stuff is still sitting there at full price).

A similar pattern has taken place at other retailers.  Last year Meijers had
clearance stuff before Christmas and immediately cut most of it again after
Christmas.  This year they had only a handful of junk on clearance before
Christmas and it just continued to sit there at the same discount afterwards.

Wal-mart put their stuff at 25-30% off and AFAIK it's been sitting at that ever
since.

At least here in the Minneapolis metro area, I've seen only a minimal amount of
Lego clearance items.  Either they didn't have the set quantities left to
discount (inventory control is getting better?), the e-bay resellers are buying
in quantity at the 25-30% off level instead of waiting for 50-75% (unlikely), or
the stores are just pushing the clearances later.  At any rate, it's been a
really lousy year for clearance Lego so far.  I hope the rest of you have had
better luck. :)

Steve