 Marketplace / Theory / 2713
Re: trading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:21:38 GMT

I find trades to be a fair bit of work and I find myself doing them less • and
less. The advent of automation at sites to aid buying and selling tilts it • even
further in that direction. IMHO anyway.

Personally I never understand why anyone bothers with trading.

The whole point of inventing the concept of money was because one-on-one
bartering (trading) isn't scaleable because it depends on finding the person
who not only has what I want but also wants what I have. By using money as
the intermediary, I can split this into two transactions, each of which is
much easier to carry out, so overall it is less effort to obtain what I want
and dispose of what I don't want. Given the centuries of experience with the
use of the money concept, I think we've road-tested it pretty well and found
it an excellent tool for the exchange of goods and services.

I often wonder about people who "only trade". How did get their Lego in the
first place? Offer to mow the lawn at the Lego factory? Swap some home-grown
tomatoes? Why is it OK to pay money to Lego the company to buy their
product, but not to pay money to other Lego fans to get some in the
secondary market?

Kerry