 Marketplace / Theory / 2557
Re: Class Action suit against KB toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:05:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
Unfortunately, most people won't spend the time to do the comparison.  And
retailers will take advantage of that.  Last year TRU ran test to see if
people would notice increased prices on items.  I doubt that most people
did.

     I didn't, and I'm in there 3-6 times every week.

I immediately noticed that one of my local TRUs had all the items in the lego
aisle marked up +10% over MSRP.  After cornering one of the workers
for a while, he spilled that they were "running tests" and that each store
was given a product line to increase the prices on.  One store would do
"LEGO", one store would do "Barbie", etc.

     Ah, see, I pretty much stick to a handful of different lines, so if they
didn't mark those up (or if they marked up Star Wars toys during a period of
time in which they stocked _NOTHING_ to the shelves), I would have no reason to
notice.  LEGO seems a pretty stupid thing to try marking up.  I've noticed that
the local TRU has a hard time selling any of the really expensive sets because
they kick them up $5-10 each, but Meijer is almost guaranteed to have the same
sets in stock (Target and/or Wal-Mart might as well).  They are also the only
store that can't move the Bionicle mask packs (MSRP $1.99, TRU $2.99).  The
problem here (if you want to call it that) is that all of us LEGO fans have
gotten used to being able to flip through the latest S@H catalog or walk into
just about any store and see the same exact price on the same exact set (or
$0.11 less at Wal-Mart), so seeing a price-tag that's above MSRP is like seeing
special tags that say "Now with free Plague!" stuck on the boxes.