 Marketplace / Theory / 2551
Re: Class Action suit against KB toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 04:34:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Julie Krenz wrote:
http://www.kbtoys.com/help/legalnotice.html/ls/default

From what I could tell, somebody got ticked off about the inflated msrp being
crossed out and replaced by the markdown prices and is suing.

     Eh, not exactly.  From the way it reads, they got ticked off about price
tags being printed with simulated "hand-printed" red cross-offs and markdown
prices being built in.  I was sceptical about this simulated handwriting bit, so
I looked through some boxes that I have sitting around from purchases through
the last few months.  One of my Blaster Throwbots had the price crossed off and
marked down in red ink, but I was unable to find another such markdown on the
other Blaster boxes.  However, the Pit Droids that I bought are another matter
altogether.  The two I looked at both have the same markdowns, and a quick
glance at them didn't reveal any noticable differences in how they were marked
(even one person doing them all at the same time should have some variance,
particularly in where the new price is located on the pricetag), but a closer
look showed that the red ink was printed by a computer!  Not only is it
pixelated, but the black ink from the "original" price doesn't show through the
red line at all.  However, I think I know exactly why they are doing this in
this manner.  For instance, originally they were selling the Blaster Throwbot
for $17.99, which is the price that was marked out by hand on the one box that
was adjusted.  However, since they have received multiple new shipments of that
specific set since first marking it down, I suspect they print them out like
that in order to save labor expenses.  The black price is probably their
legitimate original price in many cases, even though it may not have applied for
the last dozen shipments that they received.  Specifically, the original
plaintiff seems ticked off that they are listing "original" prices that were
well over MSRP, but KB often does sell stuff with jacked-up prices, so I don't
know that this guy's argument will hold any water, but it'll be interesting to
see what happens.