 Marketplace / Theory / 2553
Re: Class Action suit against KB toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:38:13 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Salm wrote:

<SNIP OF PREVIOUS MESSAGE>

Honestly, I cannot belive this case went forward and that the guy even won.
Seems like the court made a pretty incredible ruling.

MSRP is the SUGGESTED retail price.  Individual retailers should be permitted to sell at whatever price they choose for whatever reason.  Also, it is important to note that the MSRP we are used to for Lego is that price usually charged by merchants who buy their stock DIRECTLY from Lego and pay no additional wholesaler's fee.  Many indenpendent toy retailers buy their stock through wholesalers such as Marz Distribution and, thus, have a higher cost.  A look at Marz's MSRP listings used to show higher retail prices for resellers because any wholesalers has to charge something for their services.  (As for Marz Distribution, I am not sure they carry Lego any more as none is accessible from their website, despite trying to find it by manipulating URLS).

<Additional Snip>

You should note, however, that some states, at least, cover this matter under
"truth in advertising" laws.  Massachusetts prohibits advertising items as
"on sale" with an inflated "regular" price, which is apparently defined as
a price above what the item has regularly sold for.  In other words, if the
retailer never sold the item at the higher price, then they cannot claim it
as the "regular" price for purposes of demonstrating a big "sale."  The
MA attorney general was after Kohl's on this last year.

See http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/2a26eaa7.html