 Marketplace / Theory / 2552
Re: Class Action suit against KB toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Laswell wrote:

Specifically, the original plaintiff seems ticked off that they are listing
"original" prices that were well over MSRP, but KB often does sell stuff
with jacked-up prices, so I don't know that this guy's argument will hold
any water, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Honestly, I cannot belive this case went forward and that the guy even won.
Seems like the court made a pretty incredible ruling.

MSRP is the SUGGESTED retail price.  Individual retailers should be permitted to
sell at whatever price they choose for whatever reason.  Also, it is important
to note that the MSRP we are used to for Lego is that price usually charged by
merchants who buy their stock DIRECTLY from Lego and pay no additional
wholesaler's fee.  Many indenpendent toy retailers buy their stock through
wholesalers such as Marz Distribution and, thus, have a higher cost.  A look at
Marz's MSRP listings used to show higher retail prices for resellers because any
wholesalers has to charge something for their services.  (As for Marz
Distribution, I am not sure they carry Lego any more as none is accessible from
their website, despite trying to find it by manipulating URLS).

Okay, so I know KBToys has inflated prices, but that just means I only buy
severaly discounted stuff from them.  KBToys is in business to sell to the
uneducated consumer, in my opinion, who does not have knowledge of real-world
pricing.  So be it.  I say let them do it and keep doing it, this is a free
market economy.

Even so, I can't wait until the settlement terms kick in.  I will be traveling
around to KBToy stores to buy up as many good deals as I can find!

__Kevin Salm__