 Marketplace / Theory / 2500
Re: Meta-Legends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 17:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Paul Hanson writes:
Hey everyone -
An entire theme could be packaged and sold as a single set!

For example, I'm a big fan of the original wave of Classic Space sets from
1978-79. If my math is right, these 13 sets taken together total 1127 parts
- considerably LESS than some of the bigger sets now available. Put all of
the parts in one big box, put all of the instructions in one big manual.
That's only one box that TLC has to store and distribute, which suddenly
makes releasing a lot of old sets easier for them.

I like your idea and the idea of theme buckets which I and other people have
thought of.

I do think that a more practical solution would be to combine two or three
themed sets into a larger set for Shop at Home.  (btw - remember in the late
80's when Lego did have those combination sets with 4 sets from different
themes)  Two sets such as Armor Shop and Siege Tower or Blacksmith Shop and
Battering Ram could be sold together.  This would create a $40-50 set
instead of less profitable (for shop at home) $20 sets.  Of course these
sets could be placed on shelves in 2-3 years individually and sell very well.

Even though I really like classic space, I do not think that these sets are
modern enough to be marketable.  It would be better to make new space sets
and town sets which are like the old ones but with new pieces and color
schemes.  Castle, Pirates, and Western do not have this problem because they
are from a long time ago.

Warning - slightly related digression below :)

On the issue of redeveloping old sets, I believe that remaking the 70's
homemaker sets in minifig scale would be very popular with young girls.
Different parts of the house could be snapped together.  To support my idea,
I site the popularity of the videogame "the sims" which more girls play than
boys.  You could have a family and children (made with stubby legs), pets
such as a dog and cat, and household items now found in belleville and harry
potter sets.  Lego should make these sets look real, not pink, clear, etc.
They would be hugely successful.

Ben