 Marketplace / Theory / 2488
2487  |  2489
Subject:
Meta-Legends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:25:51 GMT

Hey everyone -

I had a crazy idea over the weekend. I know this will NEVER happen, but I
thought it was interesting enough to share and discuss.

Most of us agree that the Legends releases are one of the best things that
TLC has done recently - problem is, there's so many great old sets that it's
impossible to release all the ones that fans want. Packaging, warehousing
and distributing scores of old sets is understandably just not going to happen.

But then there's this - the existence of the Sculpture and UCS sets
demonstrate that there is a market for large, expensive sets geared toward
the adult collector.

What is these ideas were combined? An entire theme could be packaged and
sold as a single set!

For example, I'm a big fan of the original wave of Classic Space sets from
1978-79. If my math is right, these 13 sets taken together total 1127 parts
- considerably LESS than some of the bigger sets now available. Put all of
the parts in one big box, put all of the instructions in one big manual.
That's only one box that TLC has to store and distribute, which suddenly
makes releasing a lot of old sets easier for them.

Even though I already own several of the old space sets, I would mortgage my
house to get all of them as Legend re-releases. And the possibilities for
other themes are pretty exciting - imagine getting a big box that includes
the entire Crusaders, Nautica, or Blacktron theme!

Just wishful thinking, I know... but still...

- Paul