 Marketplace / Theory / 2497
Re: Meta-Legends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

What about people who want to see a space set from a different year of
issue?  I'd say that depending on the year, your total of 1127 parts might
be off by quite a considerable amount.

I used Classic Space just as an example. It's a popular theme (& my personal
favorite), but it's just one possible idea. There are plenty other
themes/years that could get the same treatment. Town sets from the late
'80's-early '90's for example - lots of quality there.

And of course the number of parts in different themes varies quite a bit.
The trick would be to select themes or sub-themes that aren't too big, and
which include a high percentage of Legend-candidate sets.

What I would prefer to see is a series of buckets/tubs/boxes ranging from
the small mini bucket to the large 1200-piece tub and even up as far as the
ISD's piece count of 3104 pieces, containing a fairly good selection of
parts, some of which would not normally be available today.  It's better
than a legend, because (a) LEGO could structure them so that they can be
mass-produced in bulk and (b) they could even produce some of the harder to
get parts in colors not seen previously.  (I don't see a really good reason
to *only* produce Classic Space themed buckets in only Classic Space
colors.)  The only minor problem I could forsee is that perhaps baseplates
would be difficult to package for certain sets that might get included in
building instructions - this could probably be worked around by making minor
structural changes to the way sets are built.

Theme buckets would be AWESOME - and more easily implemented and marketed
than my proposal. I really dig the idea of varying the color/element mix to
keep things fresh.

Of course, I wouldn't expect to see anything this major in the next few
years, it may be 3-5 years before any of it actually comes out for sale,
since LEGO currently have the Star Wars license to produce sets from, and
there is still a lot of unknown stuff coming from Episode III, and possibly
a bit of stuff coming from an epilogue, although I'm not even sure Mr. Lucas
is planning on shooting it yet.

Oooh! An epilogue - that's a rumour I'd not heard. It's clear that we're not
going to get Episodes VII-IX, but wrapping everything up in a single movie
is an intriguing idea.

- Paul