 Marketplace / Theory / 2492
Re: Meta-Legends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:43:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Allan Bedford writes:

Paul, I will give this one an 'A' for originality and innovation.  But I
have to disagree that it would make for a good practical solution.  Here's
my reasoning:

I never said that my idea was a practical one  :-)  It's just a
not-very-well-thought-out idea based on the realization that some of the
gigantic new <sets> have more pieces individually than some of the beloved
<themes> of old.

1)  Some folks may only be interested in one or two particular sets from the
entire series.  If released individually, they might buy multiple copies of
them.  However, released collectively they might decide not to buy as much
or perhaps pass altogether.  End result could be lost sales.

I agree 100%. As I said, not-very-well-thought-out.

2)  I don't think that the production, warehousing, shipping etc. of the
Legends line is likely to be swamping the company's resources.  If you look
at what percentage they represent of the overall output, they're probably
less work and effort than Duplo.

Perhaps not, but LD has said that one of the reasons for the limited bulk
selection is that they can't have too many items in inventory at any given time.

Releasing Legends is probably more complicated than any of us realize. My
idea addresses one part of one problem (# of items in inventory) which - as
you point out - may not be a problem at all.

3)  While some folks might relish the massive sets like the Star Destroyer,
I worry that 'quality' adult-oriented sets are already too big and too
expensive.  I don't think you need 1000+ pieces to make a serious set that
appeals to adults (and kids).  I think, as I have for years, that much
effort needs to be put into strong design... of both large and small sets.
There's nothing wrong with Yoda's, Blockade Runners or Star Destroyers.  I
just don't think they need to be the norm when it comes to sets geared to
the adult market.  There's wisdom in moderation.

I agree here too. Actually, I don't own any of the Sculpture or UCS sets
because they're too big & expensive. Take the ISD for example - perhaps 1/3
of the parts are of interest to me (I buy sets mainly for parts). That means
that about $200 of the $300 price is going toward parts that I don't really
need. If the set were smaller and lower-priced, the purchase would be much
more easily justified.

Another reason I don't care for these big sets is that they offer no
playability. While I realize that adults are more likely than kids to build
sets for display, I am not one of those adults. My theme-sets would be
massively playable, and I'd be more likely to consider a major purchase
because of that.

But yes, I'd love to see some well-designed smaller sets (both new and
re-released).

4)  I don't think it's impossible to rerelease all the old sets that fans
want.  Why?  Because I think there is at least some argument to be made that
the list isn't impossibly long.  Not _every_ set ever made needs to be
rereleased.  Not all of them were that good in the first place.  And, of
course, not everyone will ever be happy with what is rereleased anyway.
While your idea would thrill classic space fans, a Blacktron fan might
simply not be interested.  So as in #3 I vote for moderation.  I think they
need to continue to put out sets that span the various themes and hit on
different time periods.  That allows them to hit the _most_ popular sets,
however it is that you wish to rank them.

I agree that not all old sets should be Legends. But no matter how the
Legends are released, there will always be those who are disappointed. My
proposal could make it a <bit> easier: can't decide which Blacktron set
should be released? Heck, release 'em all!

Again, I like the original thinking behind your idea... perhaps it could be
employed to some degree.  For example, what about simply producing the sets
as individual packages, but offering the lot of them at a discount; as they
do now with something like the Famous Planes series.  Which, by the way, is
overdue for an addition to the line.

This would be ideal, but I think it's not too likely. Legend releases will
be few and far between - which is perhaps as it should be.

All that said, I think it's important to keep discussing ideas like this.
There is always room for improvement... even when it comes to releasing
Legends sets.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply - Paul

Best regards,
Allan B.