 Marketplace / Theory / 2496
Re: Meta-Legends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:24:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Allan Bedford writes:

And I wasn't trying to be hyper-critical about it not being practical, just
trying to provide some constructive feedback.  :)

Hey, that's why I tossed the idea out in the first place. I appreciate the
criticism - not that anything is likely to come of it, but it's still a fun
exercise.

Releasing Legends is probably more complicated than any of us realize.

More complicated for LEGO Direct, yes.  Perhaps not so much so if the guys
in the ivory tower in Denmark would get their heads out of the sand.  When
someone tells me that these sets are difficult to produce (by the company as
a whole) I have to ask the question, "how on earth did they get produced in
the first place?"  Wasn't the technology _less_ sophisticated when some of
these sets were first released?

Indeed! Lego Direct is doing some very cool stuff, but they seem to be
swimming upstream with regard to the company as a whole. Re-releasing old
sets would be much simplifed if TLC threw their weight behind such an
endevour, but they seem to prefer working on things like Bionicle shoes &
Galidor. Bleh.

Of course, we always have to remind ourselves that adults aren't
really the target market for the company as a whole.

True, but they do take us seriously as a part of their market. In spite of
what they say, releasing a $300 ISD is proof positive that they are going
after the adult collector.

I continue to see LEGO
Direct as the only arm of the company that is using modern marketing, design
and sales techniques.  It's the rest of the company the worries me.

Sadly, yep.

Is it possible for them to release a smaller scale Star Destroyer?  I'm
honestly not sure.  Can you get the shape and some detailing into a model
that's 1/3 the length (and thus the price)?

I wish this is what they had done - I would probably buy a smalller Star
Destroyer  :-)

I agree that not all old sets should be Legends. But no matter how the
Legends are released, there will always be those who are disappointed. My
proposal could make it a <bit> easier: can't decide which Blacktron set
should be released? Heck, release 'em all!

Isn't that like saying, "I can't decide who to marry, so I'll just marry
them both."  Or something like that.  ;)

Yeah, well... Sometimes the best choice is not to choose  :-)

I think it's time to dig into the catalog and pull out some oldie goldies.
The music and film business does this all the time.  Reissued CD's.
Rereleased movies.  Bonus tracks.  Extra features.  And you know what?
People buy them over and again.  I know people who own 3 and 4 copies of
'The Wall' by Pink Floyd.  Or a copy of Jaws on video, laserdisc and DVD.
People will buy things they've bought before, or better yet, things they
never had a chance to buy in the first place.  Legends are an underexploited
idea at this stage.

Interesting analogy - and very true. In a way, the old set designs are a
goldmine of intellectual property that they'd be crazy NOT to exploit.

- Paul