 Marketplace / Theory / 2461
Re: Paypal (Was: Re: Another Princess Leia auction (Was "Wow, check the price...))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 04:32:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mike Walsh writes:

I too consider PayPal's fees simply the cost of doing business  I don't
charge them back to the buyer and I don't try and get around them with
multiple accounts.  I avoid sellers who add PayPal surcharges.  Every once
in a while I forget to read someone's BrickLink TOS and get hit with extra
fees.  I rarely (they would have to have something I really need really
badly) place a subsequent order wioth these sellers.

I consider it nickel and diming the buyer when it is really a seller's
convenience (not having to go to the bank to make deposits) as well as a
buyer's convenience.

Mike

As a seller, I don't consider Paypal a convenience.  I would rather be without
it because I do not like the fees.  There are myriad other payment options
available.  At my BrickLink shop, buyers are free to chose whichever payment
option suits them as I offer many choices.  But I only offer Paypal because
that is what many [most] buyers like to use.

I _DO_ charge the Paypal fees back to the buyer, but I absolutely HATE doing
it.  I much prefer when buyers tell me they will be paying with non-credit card
funds [1] and then I do not have to assess any fees.  I never profit from doing
this as I only charge exactly what Paypal charges me (or less).
I much prefer receiving money orders, cash, or checks.  Convenience of these
instruments is not an issue with me since I send most deposits to the bank via
the post [2].

I am sure that this keeps some people from making purchases at my shop; on the
other hand, I have had several customers come back 3 or 4 or more times and pay
with paypal every time.  I guess that would be attributed to buyers
convenience.

I can do without Paypal.  What I really miss is X.com.  I really felt I could
trust X.com because that was an actual bank account subject to banking
regulations.  Paypal seems to do whatever it feels it can get away with.

__Kevin Salm__
ABP Lego Sales at BrickLink.com

[1] yes, I maintain two Paypal accounts which is allowed by their terms.
[2] no, I don't make special trips to the post office either.