 Marketplace / Theory / 2414
Re: Lego logo on auction pages? (Was: Soft Bricks on ebay!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mark Papenfuss writes:
Why would a Lego emplyee email you and not me? I am the one with the
listing. If they really had a problem with it why would they go to you and
not me?

I'm not sure-- I assume it's because one of:
1) It wasn't his department (it would probably be legal's call)
2) He didn't actually visit your auction page, just saw my question
3) He felt it was worthwhile to establish policy, but not worthwhile to stop
the action.

Perhaps he's reported it since then to another department? Perhaps they
don't really care that much? I dunno. I can't guess motivation...

I would LOVE to see this email, you can get me addy from above. And
if the Lego employee is reading this, I invite you to give me the same email
you gave to him.

Actually, he offered that I might post it on his behalf (he actually can't
post to this newsgroup, since Lego reps must, by design, post only in the
Lego Company's area on LUGNET. Here's what he sent me: (from
Jackob.McKee@america.lego.com)
======================= BEGIN EMAIL ===========================
David,

Hey there! Since I can't reply directly to this thread, I thought I would
respond to you via email. Please feel free to post this answer, if you like.

To answer your question:

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=9284

no, the LEGO logo is not allowed to be used by anyone other than The LEGO
Company, or those it specifically authorizes to do so. Sure, if you are
showing a box shot that has a logo in it, then that is fine, but using the
logo to "dress up" your page is not allowed. For more details on this,
please see the Fair Play policy at:

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/fairplay.asp

Thanks!
Jake
======================== END EMAIL ==========================

I am sorry, but for now I am have a somewhat strange
feeling about this. If they had a problem with it I just do not understand
why they would email you and not me.

I honestly don't think it's much of a problem... My take on it has always
been merely that it's "impolite" to use an artistic rendition of their logo
(ie not just a photo of a box with the logo on it or some such) without
express permission by TLC. They could most likely persue it further if they
wished, but I doubt it's really all that big a deal to them. If you get an
email from them, though, I guess that answers the question! :)

DaveE