 Marketplace / Theory / 2391
Re: The competitive market place
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:53:41 GMT

Jude Beaudin wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
On several occasions, a bickering contest has erupted over competitive
market posts. Perhaps we need to settle on some ground rules for
competitive marketing here. I'd like to open the discussion with the
following thoughts:

<snip some ideas that may be worthy of discussion>

I think if we work out some reasonable guidelines for conducting
business, we can eliminate some of the rancor which has occurred in the
past. Also, with reasonable guidelines, it will be clear "who started
it" if a bickering match does erupt. I think that if we can come up with
some reasonable guidelines, we can even have close to zero tolerance for
misbehavior.

Frank

I respectfully disagree. It sounds like you are trying to engineer the
community. I feel what you are proposing is too difficult to enforce with
consistancy and fairness. Suz has a point about not clearly defining the
line so someone will not try to push it. It can be easy for someone to
adhere to the letter of the law while violating what it intended.

I'm not trying to create rules which must be applied in only one way.
I'm trying to suggest that we need to codify our expectations of how we
conduct business on Lugnet better. All too often, things like counter
offers errupt into a flame war. This suggests that at least one person
has an unrealistic expectation of how business should be conducted. If
we have some guidelines, then what can happen when something does break
out and Suz has to put a lid on it, is that it can be pointed out what
went wrong. If we have no guidelines other than don't make Suz mad, then
nothing gets resolved.

It would be really nifty if folks could all just get along without
rules. Unfortunately, as history and current events continue to show,
the world just doesn't work that way.

I think some guidelines would really help. For example, if it is OK to
start a new post with a counter offer, and the original poster gets
upset, I can just ignore his complaint because the guidelines support my
action. If someone else calls me on it also, I can politely ask why they
think I am outside the guidelines. If the first person wants to make an
issue out of it, they're going to get a time-out all by themselves.

If the guidelines are fuzzy (as they seem to be right now), the 2nd
poster feels obligated to respond to the first poster, and the race is
on.

Frank