 Marketplace / Theory / 2390
Re: The competitive market place
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Thomas Stangl writes:
I really don't like Suz's rule "don't make me mad".  It's WAY too vague, as

I dunno, I kinda like the 'don't make me mad'.  We are here at the grace of
Suz et al.  Sure we paid money, but is like Boy Scouts--I paid money to that
as well--didn't mean I could just do as I please.  There's structure, and
there are people who run the volunteer organization, and there are the rest
of us.  When LUGNET becomes a corporation and we're *paying* for the
corporation, then we can expect and ask for specific structures.  As it
stands, it's *volunteer*, and we're *paying* for the privilege of having
this community.  If LUGNET wasn't here, we're back to rtl or ezBoard.  I'll
take the non-corporate, strictly volunteer run LUGNET over something else
any day of the week.

For those of you who have been using LUGNET for a long time, you know it
takes *alot* to push Suz over the line.  I would have revolked some users
(me incl) posting priviledges many times over.  So 'don't make her mad' is a
good line.

I've said this once or twice before--in a community such as this, it does
take a thick skin sometimes.  Let things slide once--don't jump in with
'both guns blazing'.  Be polite--especially if you want people to be polite
to you.  Remember that not all of us share the same sense of humour, the
same world view, the same language even.  But we all do have *one* thing in
common--these little colourful pieces of ABS--and, smarter minds than mine
have said again and again since the invention of the 'Automatic Binding
Block' that these little pices of ABS are a great way of bringing people
together--*not* pushing them apart.

Space guy crushing castle?  It was a pic--get over it.  Guy who made the
pic?  Don't throw it in castles face.

Block X so Y doesn't see them?  You can do that selective filtering
yourself--don't read it.  I don't like Howard Stern.  When I hear him on the
radio, you know what I do?  Protest?  Letter write?  Throw a tantrum?  No, I
turn the station.

Peace in the Mid East?  Throw LEGO at both sides and see what happens.

Above all,

***Don't***
***Make***
***Suz***
***Mad!***

That's *the* rule, from the head honcho.  So it has been spoken, so let it
be done.  What more needs to be said?

Dave

everyone has different limits before getting angry (mine are much higher
after TwitFiltering a specific user in .debate).  While drawing lines may
pull certain people into pointless exercises of pushing those lines, she
could easily say "Here are the lines, but deliberately pushing them will be
considered bickering with me, and may result in a warning or timeout".
That's still vague, but way beyond "don't make me mad".

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/