 Marketplace / Theory / 2295
Re: I need a receipt!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:45:41 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:GqLpy8.Bou@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.theory, Tony Kilaras writes:

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Dave Johann writes:
Of course, Toys 'R' Us will give you a gift card/Geoffrey • Dollars/store
credit for the return without receipt, if you shop at T'R'U often • enough to
make that work...

  ...and, you can only get a *cash* refund if the original purchaser
  paid with debit or cash.  I'm betting that most folks haven't • bought
  their 1349s that way.  If you take it back without any receipt, • they
  *should* be able to give you store credit, just as they would if • the
  item had been bought with a third party CC.  I did that just • today,
  in fact--I had lost my receipt--and I got a little card, that's • good
  indefinitely and that I can use piecemeal (and I will, when the Ep • II
  sets come out).

Ah, TRU (and Target) will NOT give credit without a receipt if the • item
being returned is electronic in nature. The best either will do is an
exchange of that item if it is stock. This is to prevent folks who buy • $5
DDKs at CompUSA from getting $100 credit in their store.

My T'R'U has moved all LEGO Mindstorms kits out of lockup, and has them • on
the shelves. All 1394s were on the shelves from the get go...and I bet
they'd take a train set back no questions asked...

I dare you to find the 1% of T'R'U or Target employees who would know • the
difference between the 1394 and any other LEGO set...

I did. I went to 3 TRUs, and all three sets of employees couldn't refund • my
money because the item scanned inat $200.

You mention "sets of employees"--does that include all the management? • Store
managers do have blanket authority to circumvent these regulations--I've • had
them do it before, on discounts and refunds both--if they want to.  If • not,
ask for the name and contact phone of *their* superior (usually at the • district
office).  TRU is service oriented enough that just the *threat* of you • making
direct contact with a complaint or an issue that can be resolved at the • store
is enough to get it resolved in your favor, because the DSM isn't going to
want to deal with something that so obviously should have been taken care • of
at the store level.  After all, it's still well within 45 days of the
holidays--I'm sure this isn't the first time such a thing has happened.

Be persistent--it's the surest sign to the management that you're honest, • on
the level, correct, and deserve to be given special dispensation.  It's • always
worked for me.

Yes, the manager was summoned in all three stores. I was told there was
nothing they could do because the computer automatically blocks the refund
because of the sales price. Is this true? Who knows? But, they were trying
to be helpful, it wasn't like they were casting suspicion on me. I may
consider writing to headquarters.