 Marketplace / Theory / 2152
2151  |  2153
Subject:
Not a lot of love lost between PayPal and eBay!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 14:16:52 GMT

Those of you that are PayPal users (perhaps above a certain level?? not
sure) know what I mean. I have been getting a steady barrage of notes from
PayPal about eBay and PayPal logos and BillPoint and so forth.

PayPal has a policy that they want to be your only electronic payment mech
and offer an incentive for doing that. They have a mech to automatically add
their clickable logo to auctions

eBay wants people to use their BillPoint service and apparently also has a
mech to add BillPoint logos to auctions.

From the PayPal letter (excerpted without permission)

-- start --

CLOSE YOUR BILLPOINT ACCOUNT
The only sure way to protect yourself from future unauthorized Billpoint
logos is to close your Billpoint account. Customers report to us that this
results in all Billpoint logos being automatically removed, even from items
that have bids. To close your Billpoint account, just fill out Billpoint's
customer service form, which can be found at
http://www.billpoint.com/customercare/index.html.

emphasis mine

(This choice has the added advantage of sending a message to eBay that you
do not like having your preference changed without your consent.)

end emphasis

If we learn of additional information about this problem from our customers
or from eBay, we will share it with you immediately. If you need help in
modifying your auctions, we recommend that you submit an inquiry to eBay
customer service using their online form:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-support.html.

-- end --

I am not a heavy eBay user at this point but I see my freq going up near
christmas. Personally seeing evidence of these two sparring amuses me. I
can't speak for anyone else, hence my post. Do others find this funny?
Worrisome? Inconsequential?

++Lar