 Marketplace / Theory / 2153
Re: Not a lot of love lost between PayPal and eBay!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:04:40 GMT

Larry & All,

Those of you that are PayPal users (perhaps above a certain level?? not
sure) know what I mean. I have been getting a steady barrage of notes from
PayPal about eBay and PayPal logos and BillPoint and so forth.

Indeed. I received the same e-mails, "delete". Seems pretty weird, if you
ask me.

PayPal has a policy that they want to be your only electronic payment mech
and offer an incentive for doing that. They have a mech to automatically add
their clickable logo to auctions

eBay wants people to use their BillPoint service and apparently also has a
mech to add BillPoint logos to auctions.

From the PayPal letter (excerpted without permission)

Well, all well and good, but there should be options on E-Bay on when you
list. Since I do most of my own setups, I don't think I have had a problem
yet. I will do a lot more when GATS is over with.

< snipped Paypal e-mail >

Holy LEGO bricks, Batman!

I am not a heavy eBay user at this point but I see my freq going up near
christmas. Personally seeing evidence of these two sparring amuses me. I
can't speak for anyone else, hence my post. Do others find this funny?
Worrisome? Inconsequential?

I think E-bay started using Paypal, and then they switched to Billpoint, and
I think they both better calm down, and negotiate or something. I don't have
a Billpoint account yet, and I have no real desire to get another service,
with more passwords, etc. Competition is great, but when you start annoying
customers to the point of saying forget about it, you need to rethink some
strategy.

As my "favorite" ex-president said, 'It would be funny if it wasn't so
pathetic."

: )

Scott S.