 Marketplace / Theory / 1967
Re: "Default" part type.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:54:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
One thing which is definitely one of the nagging little things which
keep me from selling more stuff is that when I do go to start selling
some parts, many will come out of my parts bins. In all probability,
they are basically new, but some used parts have been sorted in, and
obviously a part in a big bin is going to take some abuse just by being
there. When I'm parting out a set and hit parts which I just know that
I've got way to many of, they go into a separate baggie and then
directly into the box of "stuff to sell some day", but even those some
folks might not consider "new". What I will probably do is indicate that
parts are new or like new and be generous in dealing with problems which
arise.

I'm gearing up to another round of selling (going into the summer(1), I must be
nuts!), and I'm shifting my basic parts description from "new", which still
applies, but isn't as clear, or as conducive to selling as "handled only in the
sorting process", which is also true.  I can't recall where I saw that, but it
is a blatant lift on my part. (Mike Stanley, maybe?)

If anyone has further thoughts on how to make it clear what you have and
not scare people away who won't buy used parts because the one time they
bought off eBay (1) they got a lot which was dug out of the garbage pit,
I'm all ears.

"Taken out & played with only on Sundays, by a little old grandmother." ;)

More seriously, I think that BB has a mostly higher class of buyer & seller
than eBay, so it's not as big a problem.  Clearly stating that you're a builder
& collector yourself, and that these parts are in good condition, and only
being sold as surplus parts, not as undesireable may be a good way to go.

Otherwise, a picture speaks a thousand words.  A good picture speaks even more.
:)

James