 Marketplace / Theory / 1961
Re: "Default" part type.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:53:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I buy a lot of parts to support MTW operations.

I have found lately that I am getting increasingly tripped up in some of my
deals because I forget to check, or the seller doesn't make it clear,
whether the parts on offer are used or new.

It's usually clearer on ebay, it's a selling point.
Maybe it's why the parts are cheaper.

MTW sells new kits. That means that the parts have to be new or so close
that you can't tell (and I prefer new, even so) except in extenuating
circumstances (for instance, right now, I am seeking 1x2x2 yellow town
windows and will accept used because new are so hard to come by... similarly
for 1x2x3 town shutters in blue, I had to take used ones).

Design compromise: Can you alter colors to suit new parts availability.

Brickbay sellers do not consistently label their wares, some use NEW on some
lots, others use USED on some lots. Others don't say anything.

Could be some sellers are milking the situation. Maybe assume used when no
mention is made. What do they say 'cravat emperor' (pun alert).
If the tie fits...

Do other people find this state of affairs confusing? Maybe this really is
just a Brickbay suggestion (and I'll go make it there) but I am wondering if
there's a larger issue here or not.

Sellers should mention the condition, maybe abbreviations would help.
eg. N(new),U1(used-excellent),U2(used-good),U3(used-fair),U4(used-poor).
Or you could 'out' the sellers.

pete.w