 Marketplace / Theory / 1673
Re: So what would you do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:55:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John Hadd writes:
Dave, If you leave a negative you will almost certainly get one in return.

Yep. That's another issue. As Lar mentioned, this really isn't fair since as
far as the seller is concerned, my participation was fine... That's part of the
curse of feedback. It also borders on going against the Ebay terms of use since
they forbid threatening people with negative feedback... Hence, in my email to
him, I can't say "I'll give you positive feedback if and only if you send me
the missing pieces, otherwise you get negative feedback", since that would be
threatening him. And visa versa, really, he should have already filled out my
feedback form, seeing as NOT submitting it is a way of holding it over my head,
so to speak.

Now, You need to realize, as I'm sure you do, that you are dealing with the
general public. Most people do not share our love and passion for the brick.It
could just be an honest mistake, maybe the seller is 80 years old.

Undoubtedly. In fact, from the 30 or so used set auctions I've won, only *3*
were perfectly as described, even when they're from fellow Lego fans. So
mistakes are common. I've come to expect them. But actually, this guy is an
admitted Lego fan, and what suprised me the most was the inclusion of TYCO
blocks, which is what drew the line, since I almost didn't notice them, and I
kinda want to give a heads-up to other buyers to scrutinize any winnings they
may get from this seller, in case they don't notice.

If the
pieces missing are really hard to get (horse bardings, spiral staircases or
special parts the are required to make the set) I can see why you are upset,
if it's just common stuff, use some stock to cover it. If the seller had the
parts I would assume they would have shipped them.

Yep. In fact, he says he probably has all of the missing items, and that he'll
ship them. Even if he didn't, though, I'm not upset at all. I think I got a
quite fair price for what I received. But I also know that there are people out
there who would be outraged at it. And I'd like to help prevent that if
possible.

You could ask for a refund. If I
sold you the set, I would tell you to return it to me for a full refund
including shipping because I didn't describe the item correctly. A lot of
sellers are like, hey, here are some of the kids Lego's, let's sell them on
Ebay.

Yep. In fact, that's a lot of the problem, since most sellers will get a set
from a yard sale/family members/friends/etc. already built. They'll assume that
it's complete, and sell it as such without actually checking. And THAT'S the
real problem, I find. Were I to be a seller of used sets, I think I would
always say something like "sets are as shown" rather than actually saying "sets
are 100% complete", if I hadn't actually meticulously checked them.

And as a result, I'm never quite sure how to handle it, since these people
don't really have the resources to make up for the missing pieces, and often
can't quite do much other than to offer to refund their money in exchange for
the set in return.

Anyway, I sent a list of the missing pieces along with links to the partsref to
the seller, and he says he'll be shipping me the missing pieces... I think I'll
simply leave positive feedback with the comment that the seller was glad to
correct the mistake made...

DaveE