 Marketplace / Theory / 1666
Re: So what would you do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 05:22:33 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

You see a lot on ebay-- 3 sets, all 100% complete, with the exception of 4
pieces, and 1 substituted piece. You bid. You win.

You get the sets. problem. 24 pieces are missing (out of 852). Some are

Anyway, I haven't spoken to the seller yet. Perhaps they'll gladly be able to
replace 100% of the pieces that are missing, and sub back in the two Tyco
blocks for Lego ones. But all the same, if they do, I don't feel justified in
giving them either positive or negative feedback. After all, I'd like to
provide future buyers with fair warning to take a look at their winnings with
scrutiny, but I also don't want to taint this seller's record if they're
perfectly willing to make up for their mistake...

This happened to me recently.  Although it was a hassle, I realize
that mistakes do happen, and if the seller is willing to right their
wrongs then it's worth giving them positive feedback.  Anybody can
sell you stuff, but someone who admits that they're wrong and goes
out of their way to correct it deserves some credit.  You can always
leave positive feedback, then mention that pieces were missing and the
seller corrected it.

I did find that it took a lot of time to explain what parts were
missing in my case, which was a shame.  I had to send multiple
emails with links to the parts database at LUGNET so that they
understood what I was talking about, and in the end they still
couldn't get me one of the pieces.  Fortunately I found it on
BrickBay for 30 cents.  :)

Anybody know if you can embed a URL into Ebay comments?  Always
thought that would be a lot more effective than a one-liner in
negative situations.  Part of the reason that I was more generous
than usual was to protect my feedback rating; the seller was waiting
to see what I posted before giving me any feedback.

Chris (ebay user 'mallorn')