 Marketplace / Theory / 1309
Re: Auctions cooling off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:26:00 GMT

"John J. Ladasky Jr." wrote:

Followups set to lugnet.market.theory.

In lugnet.adventurers, Howard Aikins writes:
Is it just me or are the lego auctions cooling off a little?  I just bought
Sphynx Secret Surprise for $24.99 and Mummy's Tomb for $14.00 from yahoo
auctions.  I felt that these were pretty good prices and I was the only bidder
on both items.  Am I poorly informed, or are prices coming down?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Howie.

I don't know about you, but I'm keeping my wallet in my pocket until I get a
chance to see what Brad Justus' much-ballyhooed Lego Direct will be offering
us...

I'm sure it won't offer us all of the pieces in some large sets, and it sure as
heck won't offer people overseas anything for a long while yet.  I always accept
foreign bids and my auctions, with only one exception, always have more than one
bidder.

It's possible that a high starting price drove people off a bit--also, if another
set that started at $1.00 ended at roughly the same time, you can check to see what
price it drew.  But with the Wal-Mart online sales that had these two sets for a
bit less, and the in-store liquidation that did the same (I paid $13 for each of my
Sphynx Secret Surprises), the answer could be that your seller only accepted bids
from within the US, and many people had already bought them either at the price
point you got or at a lower one.

IMHO, you still got a great deal--they flew off the shelves at that price, and
they're great parts sets.

best

Lindsay