 Marketplace / Theory / 1154
Re: US Customs Duties on Lego Shipments from Europe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:53:55 GMT

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Frank Filz wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Lego is a duty free item in whatever quantity. If they try to collect
customs or duties, fight it. You'll do better if you dig up the
reference, posted here on LUGNET at some time in the past, to the US
customs web site which clearly shows that Lego is duty free, as are • all
other plastic construction toys.

That's interesting, because many European countries charge duties on • them
when I ship them away to people--even quantities as small as DM100 • (which
should tell you which country it is, ja?).  Hmmm...maybe it's time to • call
Commerce...

Lego is duty-free going INTO the states.  Other countries can (and do!) • have
import regulations and duties of their own.  Like Canada, for example. • The
gov't, if no greater duties apply, slaps a 7% GST to all incoming goods, • and a
*really* annoying $5 handling fee.

Mark it as "gift" on the customs form to avoid this.

Hmm.  Most governments don't worry too much about frying the little guy, • but
most countries have laws about this, and it's called "Customs Fraud", • carrying
an often hefty penalty.

I should have been clearer. The alternative is to mark it "merchandise",
which is a little strong - especially where trades are concerned. The real
grey area in this is the value on the customs form.... is a Forest Wench
really worth >$20?

Your point is valid though, I suppose if anyone does feel bad about this
they can always elect to pay tax after it reaches them - but by saying that,
you could argue a seller would be transferring his/her responsibility to the
buyer.

Scott A

You can do it if you like, but I don't.  I also don't ask people to, • because
that can constitute inciting to criminal activity (or accessory to, or
whatever your country happens to call it)

YMMV.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.