 Marketplace / Theory / 1153
Re: US Customs Duties on Lego Shipments from Europe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:46:29 GMT

James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message

Lego is duty-free going INTO the states.  Other countries can (and do!) • have
import regulations and duties of their own.  Like Canada, for example. • The
gov't, if no greater duties apply, slaps a 7% GST to all incoming goods, • and a
*really* annoying $5 handling fee.

Thats OK, I'm fighting with PBB over them charging me 39% duty+GST on my
lego!...I got a car from Scott A. (no problem with the car) and now I have • the
coustoms paperwork following it, and PBB want $45 for Duty fees...like • SNOT are
they getting it.

I would have marked it "Lego", and perhaps "Educational Toy". I sold some
Shell sets to a Canadian a few weeks ago, and he made a point of
_instructing_ me not to give it a value of more that $100 (can't remember if
that was US$ or C$). The problem with doing this, is that if it gets lost...
you loose out on compensation.

Let me know how it ends.

Scott A

The code for lego is 95.03.20 (toys:models, non working, plastic), and for
Canada it is mostly (MFN and so on) duty free.

So...the moral of the story is to ask your shipper to indicate what it is, • and
probably to include that number (it is a international tarrif #)

James