 Marketplace / Theory / 1152
Re: US Customs Duties on Lego Shipments from Europe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:36:26 GMT

Lego is duty-free going INTO the states.  Other countries can (and do!) have
import regulations and duties of their own.  Like Canada, for example.  The
gov't, if no greater duties apply, slaps a 7% GST to all incoming goods, and a
*really* annoying $5 handling fee.

Thats OK, I'm fighting with PBB over them charging me 39% duty+GST on my
lego!...I got a car from Scott A. (no problem with the car) and now I have the
coustoms paperwork following it, and PBB want $45 for Duty fees...like SNOT are
they getting it.

The code for lego is 95.03.20 (toys:models, non working, plastic), and for
Canada it is mostly (MFN and so on) duty free.

So...the moral of the story is to ask your shipper to indicate what it is, and
probably to include that number (it is a international tarrif #)

James