 Marketplace / Theory / 1122
1121  |  1123
Subject:
Soliciting counter-bids without intention to sell still an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:22:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Michael Edwards writes:
To Scott

This was not a sale!!!

Hmm, was not or is not?  Regardless, you seem to have (a) solicited initial
offers, (b) received offers, and even (c) solicited counter-offers.

I stated it in your email and I will state it again, look at
http://www.lugnet.com/trains/?n=4410
I stated in the very first line that I might not sell the trains

If it was a sale, it would be in the wrong group, all I was doing is a bit
of research!

Judging from the responses, and from what Scott posted, it really sounds to
me like this may be off-topic for the trains group.

What harm is that? when I posted the message somebody offered me $2000 for
them, and I refused as I don't want to sell, because I would be break the
T/C of this group. But I didn't, if I did Todd would have told me.

Only you and the people you're interacting closely with in this really know
what's going on, but from as an outside observer, it seems to me that you are
using the group to help you run some kind of hidden auction.  Even if you
don't intend necessarily to sell, soliciting offers and counter-offers still
probably amounts to running an auction...?  That's a question for .market
.theory, I think...

--Todd

[XFUT -> lugnet.market.theory]