 Marketplace / Shopping / 8897
Re: Toys R Us question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:03:24 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Joe Franco writes:

Hi, I went to Toys R Us before and saw that there were 2 Railway Express
(4561)  train sets left (both at normal prices $139.00 each). What caught my
eye was that one had a tear in the box, and looked as if someone tried to
get at some pieces in the box- but everything looked to be intact in the
box. My question is, Does Toys R Us give discounts for opened or tampered
products?

They do, but don't count on one. As I recall several people in our area (New
England) tried getting discounts on damaged sets after learning that the Lego
Outlet struck off a whopping 50% for even simply dented sets. Most TRU's didn't
offer a discount, some offered to take off 10%. Really depends on whoever the
manager/person on duty is. I get the feeling they have the authority to take
off whatever they see fit, but aren't generally as easy to convince as the Lego
Outlet stores. Your luck may be different...

Dan and I found a Mindstorms set opened and missing the RCX - we asked
the manager for a discount, he said no, and said that it "happens all
the time" (sets being opened and things being pulled/stolen out of them)
- this was in MD somewhere a year or so ago :(.