 Marketplace / Shopping / 8908
Re: Toys R Us question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:23:15 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Joe Franco writes:
.........My question is, Does Toys R Us give discounts for opened or tampered
products?

From my experience, TRU is downright obnoxious when you make inqiries about
discounts - even when a set is obviously missing items.  I've actually seen
managers reseal boxes missing items and replace them on the shelf after I've
turned down an insulting offer (10% off on a RIS missing motors and sensors).

Frankly, I've gotten paranoid to the extreme in dealing with them - to the
point of opening items in front of the cashier to make sure all pieces are
present.  I've had to return too many items missing parts.  I just bought a
Master Series Tie Fighter on markdown @ $69 - obviously sealed with extra
tape (and these boxes NEED the extra sealing).  On opening, ALL internal
bags were open and it was obvious the set had been at least partially
assembled.  I complained to the manager and exchanged for a 'new' set (box
opened and checked).  Way too many boxes at TRU are open - some pilfered,
some not but who wants to deal with it?

I'll buy stuff there but it's rarely worth asking for a discount.  It is
worth checking contents before you leave if there are ANY signs of it being
opened.

Personally, I've had better luck with smaller independent Toy Stores that
have had stuff sitting on the shelf.  Bring in printouts showing price cuts
at online stores (even if the items are out of stock) to show what the rest
of the world is charging and make an offer.  This is especially true since
TLC cut prices on Mindstorms and some stuff is still on the shelf at WAY
over the "regular" list price.  I bought a few RDS sets at $80 when they'd
been on the shelf at $160 (for 2 years).  Better for them to sell than have
capital locked up in items sitting on the shelf.