 Marketplace / Shopping / 8791
Re: about Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:31:20 GMT

Troy's Surplus Lego wrote:

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> wrote in message
news:GpwBJE.Evv@lugnet.com...
I've scored some pretty good hauls lately at Target, nothing more than 50% • off,
but something happened last night I want to mention ...

I to recently had an unexpectedly good experience at one of my local Targets
while scooping up tons of cheap Lego.  It was the second target we hit that
day, and as me and my brother are unloading my two carts full of 50% off
lego onto the checkout, the checkout-girl seeing that we had a large order
asked if we wanted to save 10% by signing up for a Target card.

How they handled it for me was the cashier handed me the application and
rang it up. When done, she called the manager over and handed me over to
her. She ran the application and when complete, generated a new receipt
with the discount applied and tossed the old receipt.

The next day I had a continuation of this "pretty good" service (yours
was just a tad better). One item had been mispriced so I went to another
Target to fix it. No problem, return old one, ring up new one with
correct price. Hmm, what about my 10%? Hmm, call over supervisor. Hmm.
Give him a $3 off coupon. Me: "Thanks" (amounted to a 20% discount). No
arguments whatsoever on the reasonableness of my request, just how are
we going to do it.

For comparison, I had a scuffle with an American Airlines ticket agent
which in the end came out good but the agent took a somewhat wrong
attitude which got my hair up for a while. I had been one of those who
figured what the heck and joined that big class action lawsuit about
ticket prices and had got coupons as a settlement. I had booked a flight
using those coupons. The problem was the next day they realized the
coupons probably had expired. Ok, but I had a problem, the coupon book
very prominently displayed black out days running into 2001 in the rules
section (this was back in 2000). In very small print on each coupon was
an expiration date of 1999. The rules section really didn't have much to
say about the expiration date of the coupons. I was getting frustrated
at the agent when he finally said "Look, your coupons can't be used, but
I'm going to try and get you a cheaper ticket." The problem, he couldn't
just override the price of the ticket to have me pay what I had been
expecting to pay, he had to find me a fare which was at a price
acceptable to me. Result: I saved about twice the value of the coupons I
was trying to use. Result: I was quite happy with the end result, but it
could have been achieved with a little less pain. I had no problem
tossing the rest of my coupons in the trash (I think I didn't really
have many left, they were sort of freebies, they were expired).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com