 Marketplace / Shopping / 8784
Re: about Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 05:35:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Greg Perry writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
I've scored some pretty good hauls lately at Target, nothing more than 50% off,
but something happened last night I want to mention ...

Scene: /me standing in the doorway of a Target looking at my truck about 150 ft
away. Seperated from the truck by a driving rain storm.

Target checkout lady [peeking head thru doorway]: Hey, would you like an
umbrella ?

Me: Huh ?

Target checkout lady: Oh, we have lots, people forget them in thier carts all
the time.

Me: Wow, thanks.

That was cool. A little touch that a Target would do, but I can't see a WalMart
ever doing something like that. I'm even iffy on a K-Mart doing that.

I'd be interested in knowing what part of the country you're posting from
with this story.*  I wouldn't expect that kind of service here in Richmond,
Virginia from any of the three stores you mentioned.  K-Mart would most
definitely be the least likely to be the stage for a scene like this. Our
K-Mart's are like third world marketplaces staffed by miscreants and
malcontents.  At one where I asked for assistance in getting some LEGO sets
down from a high shelf, the employee kept insisting that all the sets were
the same and practically refused to pull down the one I kept pointing to
(this was during the days of the orange colored Fright Knight sets).  Upon
finally retreiving the set I told the employee I really appreciated their
help.  The response I received - "No you don't."

Ongoing business reports since before the Holidays have been prediciting
bankruptcy for K-Mart.  Couldn't happen to a more deserving retailer in my
experience and opinion.

It's then a toss-up between Wal-mart and Target as to who among those two
provides the marginally better but still ridiculously poor customer service.
I'll have to vote for Target I guess because I end up actually buying less
there which means less time in line, less screw-ups by bumbling cashiers and
all around less irritation.  I guess that puts Wal-Mart as second-worst,
just above K-Mart.

My favorite thing about Wal-Mart: Standing in those never-ending lines
staring up at the sign suspended from the ceiling that proudly proclaims,
"Speedy Checkout Guaranteed!"

So, I guess if a scene like the one described about the rain/umbrella was to
happen, it would most likely happen at a Target here in Richmond.  But I
ain't holding my breath.

Sorry to turn your rave into a rant.

Greg

*Am I the only one who wishes more folks would identify where they're
posting from as a general rule of netiquette?  Maybe I'm just oddly curious
about these things.  Or could that be curiously odd? Hmmm...

Yes!!  You don't know that we are all e-mailing from Pakistan and wish to
remain anonymous!?!  I think you are just a wee bit set upon by those
cretenous bludgerheads out in the Virginia shopping lanes, mostly a top down
problem.  Perhaps you should try shopping in a different zip code and see
how things change.  Let me tell you in 37363 people are a LOT more friendly
and helpful in the stores than the general pop. of 92505.  OF COURSE, there
are exeptions to each trend, but my ratings are #1 Target, #2 Wal-Mart, #3
Toys R Us, #4 K-Mart.
-Aaron-