 Marketplace / Shopping / 8785
Re: about Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:30:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Greg Perry writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:

(both with intermittent snipping)

That was cool. A little touch that a Target would do, but I can't see a WalMart
ever doing something like that. I'm even iffy on a K-Mart doing that.

I'd be interested in knowing what part of the country you're posting from
with this story.*  I wouldn't expect that kind of service here in Richmond,
Virginia from any of the three stores you mentioned.  K-Mart would most
definitely be the least likely to be the stage for a scene like this. Our
K-Mart's are like third world marketplaces staffed by miscreants and
malcontents.

It's then a toss-up between Wal-mart and Target as to who among those two
provides the marginally better but still ridiculously poor customer service.
I'll have to vote for Target I guess because I end up actually buying less
there which means less time in line, less screw-ups by bumbling cashiers and
all around less irritation.  I guess that puts Wal-Mart as second-worst,
just above K-Mart.

My favorite thing about Wal-Mart: Standing in those never-ending lines
staring up at the sign suspended from the ceiling that proudly proclaims,
"Speedy Checkout Guaranteed!"

So, I guess if a scene like the one described about the rain/umbrella was to
happen, it would most likely happen at a Target here in Richmond.  But I
ain't holding my breath.

Sorry to turn your rave into a rant.

Greg

*Am I the only one who wishes more folks would identify where they're
posting from as a general rule of netiquette?  Maybe I'm just oddly curious
about these things.  Or could that be curiously odd? Hmmm...

I have to say that Target is the only place where I would expect that to
happen.  My experiences with Target are almost always pleasurable.  Even
this weekend, heading up to the checkouts with a cart full of 50% LEGO, a
cashier meets us in the aisle and directs us right to the waiting check-out
station.

To compare this to Wal-Mart, consider the shopping I did the day before
Christmas.  (I was trying to find the Harry Potter sets for my little
sister.)  At Target, all 30 of the checkout stations were staffed and open,
and I had to wait behind one person to buy my items and leave.  Heading
straight to the Wal-Mart, I was met with 50 checkout stations, only seven of
which were open.  It was only my great desire to get my sister interested in
LEGO that kept me in that line.

As far as K-Mart is concerned, this would never happen for different
reasons.  Previously, K-Mart never had more than two stations open at once,
so I would never bother to buy anything.  Now, all the local K-Marts have
added self-checkout!  This remarkable thing allows me to make it into
K-Mart, wade through the disaster area they call Toys, and get back out
again without ever seeing an employee.

Naji

P.S. Austin, Texas, Ya'll