 Marketplace / Shopping / 7747
Re: KB Wholesale?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:45:31 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Troy Cefaratti writes:
What I find humorous was that this used to be listed on the regular KB site
for $15, with an "Original Value" of $25.  Now it seems to be listed at a
straight $19.95.

KB in general confuses me. I just don't quite get their pricing strategy.
LEGO sets an MSRP and most retailers hew to it, or go a few cents below
(like Walmart) KB on the other hand is typically 10-20% above MSRP. I don't
know other toy lines well enough to know if this is endemic or if they do it
just for LEGO.

I can see that behaviour of a store like FAO, which makes no bones about its
positioning in the segment. Their stores are fancy, located in upscale
shopping areas and have a lot of non run of the mill toys. They are well
decorated, well organized, spacious and well lit, and they have snooty (but
fairly well informed) sales staff so you get that upscale feeling.

But KB?? Hardly upscale, hardly high quality service, hardly non run of the
mill. Everything they have I can get at TRU (not a paragon of wondefulness,
mind you) for less, unless it's on sale.

One thing for their inflated prices, it makes their discounts (on the web
site, at the outlets etc) look bigger.

I just don't get it.

++Lar